Saturday, January 12, 2013

Today I bought another scoop of mulch to lay around the bamboo. I was able to do it in about 1/4 the time because today, thanks to Barbara Smith, my tractor is working.

I only needed one scoop, so it just cost me $5.00. However, I found out from the guys that run the recycling center that they are going to double the price of mulch, and they have started charging up to $16.00 to unload a trailer full of brush/tree scraps. Too bad. I really enjoyed the access to cheap mulch.
The cost of a better life is going up. It seems that the county/city would rather spend their money on other things than beautifying our countryside.

After lunch I switched the bush hog for the grader. These are attachments that go on the back of my tractor. My intention was to level the swatch of ground that lies between the bamboo and the ugly neighbor. It is about 10' wide, and I put it there to use as a buffer zone so that I can prevent the running bamboo from invading the neighbor (even if he is ugly). Well, the grader goes on the back of the tractor, so one has to be constantly turned around to see if it is too high or low, and adjust it accordingly. That was just too much work, so I started using the front end scoop to level the soil. It is pretty much all sand, so there was no straining on the tractor, and it certainly saved the straining on my neck. Worked beautifully.

Except for the "no-see-um's". Something was biting me through my clothes. At first I thought some of the fire ant mounds that I had disturbed were getting even. But when I looked, I couldn't see 'em. After about 40 bites with no visible insects, I just figured it was the spirits of the field that were mad at me for disturbing their home. So, like everyone that disturbes me, I ignored them.




No comments:

Post a Comment