Most recently I went to the Round Top/Warrenton antique festival with Liz McCullough, a good friend and wonderfully sweet person. While we were helping each other shop, we spotted a magnificent arch that we both agreed was perfect for Wandering Spirit Trails. It was large, and ornate, and we could easily immagine a vine of wisteria growing up it's side. However, the vendor wanted $200.00. After some coaxing and flirting, he came down to $180.00.
At this point I am going to interrupt myself. As I am writing this, it is early Easter morning. I just looked out the window and a cotton tail bunny is sitting underneath a tree of unknown species. How appropriate for the holiday. Cardinals are playing around him and the red against the green of the new spring grass is enough to make you tingle. The bunny continues to hop and munch and the cardinals continue to play, unaware of how beautiful they are.
But I digress. Now days that is called ADD. Back to the arch. Liz saw how perfect the arch was and generously offered to contribute $50.00 towards its purchase. We continued our shopping and contemplation and by the time I decided to accept her offer, we were miles away. I had to keep assuring Liz that I knew where we were. So we ate a slice of Almond Joy pie, headed back to the general direction, and got lost.
For those of you who have been to the Warrenton/Round Top antique festival, you have done this. For those of you who have never been, you have to visualize thousands and thousands of white tents laid on no particular grid, for miles and miles. It takes three days of power walking to cover the entire show. So, a bit of advice, if you purchase anything to be picked up later, set the GPS coordinates on your phone. To make a long story longer, we gave up, headed for the truck and just as we were scanning the horizon for the parking lot, there it was. So we talked the owner down to $175.00, got it loaded and headed home, only to realize that I had paid for a marble statue of Budda somewhere in that maze of white tents.
However, this vendor was experienced with middle-aged women and had given us his card. We called him and let him know we were looking for his white tent, however we were indeed lost. When he asked where we were, we told him we were outside a white tent. He said go east, so we did and called him again, describing the white tent we were now outside of. As we were deciding whether to panic or not, he stepped out of the next tent and waved at us with what only can be called a shit-eating grin. He had the Budda in his arms and I told him to shut up.
No comments:
Post a Comment