The story of steps taken to build a nature park, then give it to the people of La Grange in Fayette County, Texas. 'ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST'
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Post Apocalyptic Resolutions
After having narrowly escaped the end of the world (again) I thought it might be a good idea to give back. After all, creation has given me so much - things like breath, food, life and lessons. More on the lessons later. Possibly I'm feeling generous after that incredibly fun Mayan "Apocalyptic Party" I threw on 12/21/12. Whatever the reason, I decided that the beautiful 10 acres on the north side of my 20 acre property should be a park for all to enjoy from now to eternity, or at least until the next apocalypse. I am donating it to Fayette County (La Grange, TX) to be transferred upon my demise.
Now this 10 acres is gorgeous. Half of it is already looking like a park - what with the giant majestic oak trees and all. The back third of the lot is dense woods and scrub brush - perfect for the deer to seek shelter. I figure I have the rest of my life to perfect the place, which would be 17.5 years, give or take a month.
I have already laid out the meandering trail, bush hogged it, and trimmed the branches that were the most likely to poke out an eye. I am going to keep it as natural as possible. Fortunately there is place enough for parking near the entrance. At the head,the trail curves through some dozen stately oaks poking out of well trimmed fields, then curves past a huge circle of oaks so large that their branches touch the ground and form a natural grotto. In this oak grove I have laid some antique brick cobblestones to form an arched patio on which I have placed two wrought iron Peacock chairs. To sit there and count the birds is sublime.
As the trail leads on, a 100 year oak has fallen over, exposing a protected alcove where the roots envelope a porcelain fairy. I plan on having surprise art pieces scattered throughout. My next project will be to find an old iron bed, bury the legs to the hilt, then plant a cactus garden where the mattress would have been. I am putting it in a large clearing that will be only accessed by the adventurous soul who goes off the beaten path. We adventurous souls need some reward every once in a while.
The trail continues to wind along a rusty barb wire fence, past a buzzard tree complete with wild hog bones, and through a ravine which I will build a curved bridge over. Then the woods get more and more dense until it is just a winding tunnel of green. The brush is quiet, peaceful and a good place to be still and listen to your inner voice. At the end of the wooded tunnel, I have placed an arch which will have flowering vines growing up either side, or perhaps I'll plant grapes. Through the arch opens up to a small, well established pond. I have added some ingredients to clear up the muddy water, and it seems to be slowly working.
On the other side of the pond is yet another stately oak who's branches drape low enough to make you duck. On this oak I have hung a porch swing which I hope will encourage people to sit and admire the water spirits.
I'll hang more wind chimes when I get them, and I will designate one tree for everyone to bring a small piece of art or what-not to mount on the trunk for good luck. I will also have plaques with the name of the tree, brush, etc to identify the flora. That includes the plack that will read: "Poision Ivy (Good Luck Licking Vine)" as suggested by MTGrave who's art can be seen at inkof1.blogspot.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have walked through Wandering Spirit Trails and can say it is lovely. Can't wait for spring to do its magic!
ReplyDeleteCharlie
ReplyDeleteThe Gardener at our Local Cemetery said they have already removed the Canna Lily s, but this spring some will come back where they are not needed and he will give me a call. He also told me that this month, they will be removing the things people put around. They keep them for a month and then have to get rid of them. Wind Chimes is one of the items. They also have fake flowers but I said you wouldn't want them but I would let you know. Did you get the message about the rocks?
Neat blog! Enjoying the heck out of this.